Mesothelioma Questions

Asbestos FAQs

Categories :Asbestos

Question: Is there a safe level of exposure to asbestos?

Answer: There is no safe exposure level for asbestos. The asbestos fibers can easily tear tissues or be inhaled. Once exposed these fiber particles can’t be removed. All six kinds of asbestos are classified as carcinogenic. Only persons trained to handle asbestos and wearing full protective gear should be in contact with this very dangerous mineral.

Question: When is asbestos a problem to worry about?

Answer: As long as the asbestos is intact and hasn’t been disturbed there should be no problem. However, once disturbed, asbestos poses a serious health risk.

Question: What symptoms should I watch out for and how quickly will they show up?

Answer: Symptoms for asbestosis can include shortness of breath, chest pains, and a dry crackling sound deep in the chest. Unfortunately it can take sometimes up to twenty to thirty years or longer after exposure to appear.

Question: How could I have become exposed to asbestos?

Answer: The most common exposure comes from inhaling asbestos particles during renovations. These particles can remain airborne for extremely long periods of time. Exposure could also come from an older building that has been burned or damaged which has allowed these asbestos particles to be released into the air.

Question: How can I tell if I’ve been exposed to asbestos?

Answer: There is no way to tell without going to a physician for an exam. He must be told about possible exposure. Unfortunately, because symptoms don’t appear for two to three decades, a positive identification can take a long time.